Life on a mission
Monday, December 7, 2009, 1:33 AM
Sarawak, a place of great wonders and joy. As my team arrived at the first long house, Jelang, i was surprised at how large the house was. It was hard to imagine how such a large building was able to be constructed so deep in the jungle. Imagine all the work that was put in to construct it. The long house is separated into few sections and the space they share is called the ruai. That area is actually a the corridor but they use it like a community hall and a place to hang out. They served us lots of food and beverages there though they have to travel far distances to get their resources. They also have this interesting culture whereby they serve us continuously. Even before we are able to finish our food or drink, more is served. Every meal I had was filling and I was never really in hunger.

The people there are very nice especially the children. What seemed to be a face problem at the city, only meant a cheery, kind and loving face at the long house. The kids treated me like a friend though i only met them for 15 minutes. They hugged me and came close to me. There was this boy by the name of Andrew who was 11 who was just a joy he helped me communicate with the others and gave me information about the people. We were rather close. I heard that the speciality of that place was the tops they make and i was really eager to see one and even have one but they all said there isn't one and there are not many of the fruit that is used to make the top. I was a little disappointed but i thought it is ok even if i dont have one but as we exit the long house to travel to the next, i waved my hand at Andrew and to my surprise, he handed me a top that was freshly made. I was so touched throughout the journey at how nice he was. I dont think i have ever met a person in the city such as he.

The next long house we went to was called luing, they had better toilets there and the people were very nice too. The family that host me was so caring that i felt so bad as i can't provide anything for them. Before we went to bed, they laid out mattresses, pillows, and blankets for us. They offered their wash areas and soap and hangers and everything else. It made me feel like i was at home although i have never met them before. At night, the father was worried that we may want to go to the toilet or something at night so he took out a torch light for us and he also took out a jar of clean water for us. It is not the things they provide that touched me but the thought for us. they kept thinking of ways to make us feel homely. Which i guess none of us really do.

the last long house we went to was kerapa. This was the largest long house i think. it had 42 doors i think. As in 42 rooms in one long house. The government also sponsored their place with a solar project that once it is done, they will ave electricity the whole day. At that long house, i met a very nice boy too. he was cute and loving but what surprised me most was his brother. This boy was 14 but he looked like a little boy and i mean he look really young like 10 perhaps.

Anyway the whole post is boring but with every chance to go to Sarawak, I would go again and to those who hasn't got the chance hope you will someday.